Wednesday 8 August 2018

Broken

Nearly 13 years ago Chris and I were newlyweds.  Our home was filled with fluffy bath towels, shiny new toasters, and two bright eyed twenty-somethings who were just starting out.  In just over a month I turn 40.  Our wedding seems like yesterday and a million years ago at the exact same time.

Here's the thing about time.  It wears things out.  Just over a month ago our dishwasher broke, last week my laptop decided to permanently shut down, something that is more than an inconvenience for a freelance writer and PR professional - I'm going to be spending a lot of time at Best Buy and Staples and take advantage of a bunch of back to school sales, hopefully.  My iPhone has hit that critical age of two and a half where it acts like a drunk person, one month following a break-up of a long-term relationship  - erratic, sketchy, shutting down randomly, but works sort of, almost okay, 60 percent of the time.


Entourage
Image courtesy of Giphy



A few days ago while I was cooking the lid handle came off of my favourite soup pot.  I'm currently using an 'I Love NY' plate as a make-shift lid on my crock pot.

It's amazing how your interests and priorities change over the years - or that we have more patience for the fact that towels can be frayed at the edges, and just wait for a sale, while spending our money on other things like tutors for the kids or a family vacation.

Money, Gummy Bears
Image courtesy of Giphy


Today our home is filled with markers with their caps off (why is this so hard for them to master?), macaroni art on the wall, and couches with springs sticking out the back from kids jumping - it's pure chaos.  As frustrating as necessities breaking down, like my laptop are, I need to remember that although our wallets are light, our hearts are full.

The kids are nearly seven, and some days I can barely remember life before them.  I just need to suck it up, and make it all work.  One day, a broken pot or laptop won't seem nearly as big of a deal, but I won't be comforted by a bed full of Lego men, or a barrage of cards from my daughter professing her love for her mama.

I'm thankful for all of it - broken lids and all!

To get access to the newest posts from Multiple Momstrosity and more on Facebook click here and follow today

Follow 
Multiple Momstrosity on Twitter @Sarabethbug

No comments:

Post a Comment