Thursday 11 February 2021

A Decade of Twins

One of the interesting things about social media having been around for so long is the memories that pop up. Good, bad, celebratory, or sad, I have that memory notification that pops up on Facebook letting me know what photos, sentiments, or tidbits of my life from yesteryear pop up in my memory feed. 

It turns out that a decade ago today we found out we were having twins. I still remember the feeling of pure disbelief as Chris and I stepped out of the hospital and back into the car as we called family members in disbelief of what was coming - TWINS.

The pregnancy alone felt like it lasted a life time. None of the "What to expect" books covered what pregnancy with twins was going to be like and I absolutely hated being pregnant. I was sick,  miserable, and scared. Tests that signal alarm for singleton pregnancies are fairly common for a high risk multiple pregnancy and I was constantly on high alert. 


One of the only pictures in existence of me pregnant because I was so sick and miserable.


If I were to do twin pregnancy all over again I would have done it differently. I would have rested more and instead fighting to work until I was 35 weeks pregnant. I would have asked more questions, better advocated for myself, and I would have taken off my engagement ring in the second trimester so it wouldn't get stuck on my swollen sausagey pregnancy fingers. I would have been better at communicating these needs instead of feeling trapped inside a literal hormone monster. 

At the time, the isolation of twin pregnancy, and life with infant twins felt infinite. Don't get me wrong, I had wonderful supports in my husband, family, and friends during this time, but it was also still hard and lonely. 

Here's the thing. Pregnancy and the baby years have really just been a snippet of our time with the kids. If I could have flashed forward to our lives today, pandemic aside, I would have been relieved and excited to meet these plucky, fun, caring, and kind nine and a half year olds. 

Happy 10 year Twiniversary Chris, Molly, and Jack.




No comments:

Post a Comment