Friday 21 May 2021

10 Benefits of Watching Degrassi With Your Kids

I was first introduced to the Kids of Degrassi Street and Degrassi Jr. High through my middle school Guidance Class. I always looked forward to day 4 on our time table to see what was next. Would Lucy shoplift again? Would Joey fail grade 8?  I was enthralled as we watched an episode and our lovely teacher, Mrs. Fern would talk us through what happened and the choices made.

As someone who has always enjoyed karma or comeuppance, and since the formula of Degrassi is essentially: Bad Choices = Worst Case Scenario Outcomes I was in heaven.


Image Courtesy of the Toronto Star

It didn't take long before I watched Degrassi at home, tuning in on Sunday nights at 930 with my little brother. 

When they launched Degrassi Next Generation in the early 2000's I also tuned in, even though I was in my early 20s. I was in my first apartment, without cable (and before online streaming) and able to access it thanks to it being aired one of the five channels I could get (albeit I watched it less religiously than when I was a tween).

I enjoyed the more nuanced approach to the Degrassi Next Gen formula, where comeuppance can be friends side-eying you, snubbing you, or kicking you off the cheer squad. Not every bad choice had the detrimental impact of a Choose Your Own Adventure novel, but some did.

When I saw that Degrassi Next Generation was airing, in order on TV, four episodes a day I decided that it would be fun to watch with Molly. The show's parental rating says it's appropriate for kids 8 and up and mature subjects are handled well. We started watching together this winter and are currently reaching the end of Next Generation and she's loved it. Even better it's gotten us talking about really important things, and she's asked if we can watch the series I grew up with when we're done Next Gen. I am fully on board!


Image Courtesy of Seventeen

10 Benefits of Watching Degrassi with Your Kids

1. This has become a regular bonding time for us both to enjoy.

2. Since her tweenage tendencies haven't kicked in yet, she's not afraid or embarrassed to ask me questions about the episodes, no matter what they are. And she asks some tough questions.

3. It encourages no risk problem solving. We often talk about what a character could have done differently and what she would have done. She can dive deep into these issues with no risk whatsoever.

4. Every action has a consequence, even if that consequence is just feeling like a garbage person. I know that kids experiment and that growing up, but a little fear in a world of online predators and fentanyl isn't a terrible thing.

5. It brings up issues that wouldn't come up in normal every day conversation. There aren't many opportunities to talk about cutting, teachers being bullies, or frenemies until kids are facing problems head on. Degrassi gives us these conversation starters. Vulture reported that Degrassi Next Generation covered 239 issues in their 12 season run covering everything from having a step-sibling to getting your period to cage fighting.

Image Courtesy of Vultre

6. The cast are real kids. While much of the alumni still acts, Degrassi has always been with real kids, close in age to their characters playing the part, not some established 25 year old actor with a six pack. This sets more realistic expectations for kids.

7. It shows that friendships change. Closeness, space, awkwardness, and redefinitions of friendship are normal, and this is showcased treally well.

8. Growing up, Molly knows our perspective on things. Degrassi provides different parental reactions, biases, and responses to real issues. 

9. Even when you make the right choice, things can go wrong. Having grown up myself in the sitcom age of TGIF programming, every tough day ended with hugs and a solution. Degrassi shows that even solid choices can result in hurt feelings and even more conflict, and that's a part of growing up.

10. It is a Canadian rite of passage. Who doesn't want to see baby Drake? 


No comments:

Post a Comment