Friday 29 October 2021

Becoming Glinda The Good Witch - Homemade Halloween Costumes

I can't remember the last time I dressed in ALL pink. I'm guessing it's been at least 30 years, maybe longer. There are only a handful of people who could get me in all pink, luckily Molly is one of those people.

When Molly approached me about going as characters from the play Wicked this Halloween, I immediately knew who I'd pick - Elphaba. Unfortunately, the acorn doesn't fall too far from the tree and when Molly assigned the roles mine was as Glinda the Good Witch, or "Galinda, with a Ga" for those who have seen the musical. 

We had two versions of Galinda to work with, so we decided to combine them.

Galinda in the play primarily wears pink in the beginning then transitions to blue in the later acts. She is the Good Witch of the North afterall with blue representing winter! (Image Courtesy of Today's Tix)

Molly and I decided that if I wore blue too many people would think I was the tooth fairy or even trying to be Elsa from Frozen. Molly and I also had a debate about whether or not Glinda has wings (I am firmly in the camp of her not having wings since she travels by bubble) and these would make me seem like the toothfairy or the Blue Fairy from Pinocchio, so we skipped them. (Image Courtesy of Vocal Media)


The basis for my crown was this tutorial here 
The supplies I used were two sheets of square glitter scrapbook paper ($1.99 a sheet at Michaels Craft Store). I managed to get stick on velcro to adjust my crown from the dollar store as well for $1.50, and uses a stapler to connect my sheets of paper. My gemstone stickers were $3.00 total so I could get sheets in pink and clear. The adhesive from the stickers alone were not enough to stick to the gritty, sandpaperish texture of the sparkle paper, so I secured them on using a glue gun. 

Using the velcro to adjust the crown to him my head really helps keep it in place!


I purchased my wand for from Value Village for $2.99. My necklace and earrings are my own. For my bodysuit, I got it on sale from Ardene for $13.93, during a 30 percent off sale. The most work intensive part of my costume was making a floor length tutus. I spent some time searching thrift shops for a cost effective skirt or dress I could layer, but didn't have any luck. Any grown-up sized tutus I found were quite short and didn't fit the bill. I used this tutorial to create my tutu. Even though I had a 30 percent discount from Michaels, I still ended up spending roughly $35 on pink tulle.In retrospect I should have probably bought a crinoline underskirt instead and simply dyed it pink, but I can reuse my tutu for other projects down the road. I am wearing a pair of light coloured leggings under my long tutu to keep warm and avoid any potential see-through costume issues. 

All together my costume cost just over $60. I will wear the bodysuit again as a layering piece in my fall/winter wardrobe.


Happy Halloween from these two witches! To view my How To Wicked Witch of the West Costume Click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment