Tuesday 11 March 2014

Piggy in the Mirror

When I was a kid, like many children of the 1970s and 1980s, I loved the Muppets.  My favourite characters were Gonzo, Animal and Rowlf the Dog.  Although I enjoyed the show I somehow felt that there was always something missing from my Muppet experience: I longed for a female character that I could relate to and the two most prominent female leads annoyed me.  I couldn't quite articulate why I was neither Team Janice or Team Piggy.  I mean really, was I supposed to embrace the burn out hippy or the overbearing boar who isn't complete without her man?  Miss Piggy really got under my skin in a way that Janice was just incapable of...she was bossy, overbearing, desperate, loud, aggressive and self-centred: everything that little girls aren't supposed to be.  And the faux French, come on!

Chris is a huge Muppet Fan, so a few years ago when Jason Segel's The Muppets came out, we went to see it.  I enjoyed the movie and throughout found that I was also enjoying the complexity of the character Miss Piggy.  I soon came to the conclusion that Miss Piggy wasn't written for little girls, she was written for women everywhere, flaws and all, because she's real, maybe even in a Carrie Bradshaw kind of way.  Sure she can be misguided and desperate at times (she still makes me cringe a little), and there are some rage issues, but nobody's perfect.

why miss piggy is a great role model muppets
Image courtesy of Wikipedia

Here are my Top 8 Reasons Why Miss Piggy Is A Great Role Model 

  1. She's one smart little piggy.  She ultimately became Fashion Editor at Vogue Paris.
    "The early bird gets the worm – which is what he deserves." Miss Piggy.
  2. She's a fashion icon with her own make-up line, nail polish line, clothing deals and has been in numerous fashion magazines.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it may become necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." Miss Piggy.
  3. She is an advocate for being fabulous at any size.
    "Style comes in all shapes and sizes.  Therefore the bigger you are the more style you have."  Miss Piggy.
  4. She's tough, knows karate and can bend steel with her bare hands.
  5. She's loyal.
  6. She knows what she wants and she's isn't afraid to fight for it.
     "This, you see, is my ultimate ambition – to live a simple life with the frog I love." Miss Piggy.
  7. She's Funny.
    "How far should a girl go on the first date? Tucson. However, if you live in Texas, you can probably go a bit farther." Miss Piggy.
  8. She knows who she is, owns it and accepts it.
    "I don't care what you think of me, unless you think I'm awesome.  In which case you are right." Miss Piggy.


Want Multiple Momstrosity updates on Facebook click here

No comments:

Post a Comment