This boss was no fashionista. herself. She somehow felt she could wear any clothing whatsoever and it would be professional if she paired with a set of pearls and a scarf. One of her meeting staples included a variety of brightly coloured polar fleece sweaters** paired with her signature "professional" accessories.
Needless to say I had a scarf and pearl aversion for some time afterwards and didn't explore the world of scarves until, like most women I know, I approached 30*** after I noticed what the scarf was really capable of. This was no polar fleece league and I was hooked. Now that I'm a mom scarves can be so much more than a fashion accessory.
Festive autumn scarf at a hockey game check, sarcastic smile, double-check
These are the reasons why scarves are amazing from the perspective of a mom & a stylish lady:
- Sling them around your neck or tie them to your purse for a pop of colour.
- Someone I know recently revealed that she was expecting and had kept her baby bump under wraps until her third trimester by disguising under carefully selected scarves.**** This woman clearly deserves to join The Alliance of Magicians because of her mad scarf skills.
- One of my favourite authors Jen Lancaster brags about her "eating scarf" that is stylish, brightly coloured and hides anything that she spills.
- Parachute game with toddler while waiting at the vet, doctor's office or as a distraction to prevent a fight over a coveted toy.
- They are warm, which is especially important when your office could double as a meat locker eight months of the year.
- Toddler drops their blanket in a giant puddle while you're out and is freaking out? Mama scarf to the rescue.
- The feeling you get when your son makes one of your scarves his lovey (security blanket) and wants to carry it everywhere because it smells like you.
*I think I was just fashion forward.
**AKA dog walking sweaters complete with half zippers.
***Anyone who I spend a lot of time with knows that I talk about how much I love this comedy sketch about women in their 20s compared with women in their 30s ALL the time. It also features polarfleece free scarf love.
****I doubt this would have worked with a multiples pregnancy, but still AMAZING!