Wednesday 12 August 2020

Here I Go Again - Virtually Hiking The Grand Canyon Update One

Three weeks ago I began virtually "hiking" the Grand Canyon through an app called My Virtual Fitness Challenge to help motivate me, plus I get a medal at the end! Sweet. To read about my motivations for a distanced journey during COVID-19, click here.

For the most part I'm on track, but a couple of days on the road and stuck in our car on vacation have me accomplishing only 23% of my distance in 24% of my allocated time. I currently have 69 days to get myself together and catch up. I'm confident I can do it.

On our trip away we explored many amazing hikes (most of which I'm going to feature here on the blog). The app continued to motivate me to go for more post-dinner walks and to hop on our exercise bike a few times to log more kilometres when I can.  


There was nothing Bitter about my trip "to" Bitter Springs.  I have to wonder what the magical elixers of this water are proposed to do to those who drink the water.

During a walk up a Collingwood area ski hill we were able to drink in this beautiful sun set.

My view atop the legendary Cup & Saucer Trail on Manitoulin Island. A really challenging way to log 5 of my kms through the Grand Canyon Challenge.

The red area is where I SHOULD be in my hike, but I'm not yet. Hopefully I'll be well ahead by the next time I check in. So far on my Mission I've completed 101.7km of the 450.6km of the Grand Canyon. I have run, hiked, walked, and biked my way to over 20 percent of the distance.  The reminders when I have been behind have been encouraging and positive (not shaming) which is the motivation I need. I'm 75 percent sure I'm going to take on another "mission" once I complete the Grand Canyon, the big question is where do I go next?

Molly has asked me to track how much distance she logs with me on this mission and as of today she's completed roughly half of the distance alongside me at 52.4kms.  I'll check in here at "basecamp" soon to report on my hiking progress.



No comments:

Post a Comment