Thursday 21 November 2013

Dog Days Are Over

It's getting to be that time of the year again.  The holiday tunes are blaring at almost every store you walk into and all you want to do is sit at home and curl up with a good book and cup of tea.  Or at least that's how I feel anyway.  This is one  reasons why a key piece to my gift shopping strategy involves books: either scouring the shelves of some local used book shops or ordering via Amazon from the comfort of my own home. 

Over the next couple of weeks I'll provide some book suggestions, that I think are great, for gifts or just general enjoyment for you and the little people in your lives.

Today's theme, one near and dear to my heart, books that celebrate the Underdog!


Stay Golden Ponyboy!


The Under-Puppy - Books for Babies and Toddlers

That Is NOT a Good Idea! by Moe Williems
Momma Goose meets a very hungry Mr. Fox and agrees to go to dinner with him, despite warnings from her chicks.  Will this dinner guest be the main course?  The repetition of the story and pictures has helped in encouraging Jack to talk.


I'd Really Like to Eat A Child by Sylviane Donnio
All crocodile Achilles wants to do is eat a child, but his parents keep serving him bananas.  What happens when he comes face to face with a real little girl?  Try reading it along with a crocodile puppet or plain old oven mit to emphasize Achilles's frustrations and get extra toddler giggles.



The Paper Training Years - Books for Kids a Little Older

Booky: A Trilogy by Bernice Therman Hunter
I fell in love with Booky when it was read to me at library story time in grade three.  Booky is based on the true story of Toronto's own Bernice Therman Hunter who grew up with her struggling family during the great depression. I re-read this book a few years ago and it held up wonderfully. Unfortunately it was destroyed by the great fish tank leak of 2007.*   I can't wait to read the entire series to Molly and Jack!

Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume
Meet Peter Hatcher, big brother to supreme trouble maker Fudge.  This is the first of a five part series that saw me through the boredom of three bouts of a childhood stomach virus.



Big Dog Little Dog - The Tweenage Years

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
A classic about greaser Ponyboy Curtis and his friends after an unfortunate rumble with the other side of the track socs (socials).  This is the book I am most likely to talk about after a few glasses of wine at a party.



To check out more of my book recommendations from a previous post click here

Want Multiple Momstrosity updates on Facebook click here

*Never store a 20 gallon fish tank anywhere near your favourite books.

No comments:

Post a Comment