Wednesday 22 October 2014

Let's Get Physical

A while back I posted about successfully completing a 30 Day Squat Challenge with a promise to report back on my next challenge, The 30 Day Little Black Dress Challenge.  I should have written about this in late July/early August.  That never happened, but I'm willing to own that.  I attempted to complete the 30 day LBD challenge twice - and lasted about a week each time.  The main issues about why I didn't continue can be summarized in two thoughts: 1) Burpees...now I remember why I hated middle school gym class! 2) There is a reason I am not a mountain climber, because I would fall off the side of the mountain.  Apparently Burpees are in fact awesome (someone compiled a list about why here), but that isn't enough to sell me.

Aside from my rants that burpees are in fact the devil, it has been two months since my most recent failed attempt at The 30 Day Little Black Dress Challenge and time to get back on the horse or the mountain climber, but probably not the burpee (if you please).  I loved the 30 day squat challenge, and I would totally do that again, but that's just a piece of it. I want something that is going to work everything and will get me results in short bursts of time.  Something I can work on when the minions are watching the same episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for the hundredth time, basically in 30 minutes or less that I don't hate with the fire of a thousand suns.

hiking with twin carriers
Chris and I hiking with the minions - 2 months after they were born.

In the beginning of August I embarked on an eating plan that I love.  It's called the No S Diet.  It has rules, but also flexibility and is based on slow but steady results.   "No S" stands for - No seconds, no snacking and no sweets, except for sometimes on days that start with S (Saturday and Sunday and special occasions like family birthdays and anniversaries).    In the three months since I embarked on "No S",  I have fallen in love with the way that it makes me feel.  No S reminds me about a piece of diet advice that Jennifer Aniston gave her fans a while back, "Just stop eating s#&t every day."  Simple, right?

Another motivating factor, beyond being able to sprint after an errant child who has decided it was a good idea to wander towards the street while I carry groceries into the house (they are incredibly fast), is that my brother is getting married in a few months and I want to tone up before I go dress shopping.

I bought Jillian Michaels (of The Biggest Loser Fame) 30 Day Shred DVD.  I know very well that I will not manage to complete 30 workouts in 30 days, but I have pledged to myself (and now online for everyone to see) that I will do it in 40 days.  Today is day two.  I am happy to report that the first level of the workout (which I should do about 10 times before moving on to level two) does not include burpees.

I'll check in with an honest account of my progress on becoming a more fit mom in 39 days.  There may also be some lamenting about burpees or that anyone who is above a C cup shouldn't be forced to do jumping jacks.

To read about my experience with the 30 Day Squat Challenge click here

To read some of my commentary on body positivity click here

No comments:

Post a Comment