Thursday 16 January 2020

When The Party Is Over

Last week I had a solid case of the January blahs. I was sick with a head cold, had a less than stellar work week, and the kids were not adjusting their 'back to school' schedule no matter how much we tried at the end of the holiday season to get them back to a normal bed time routine.

Weeks like this are the few times when I miss having a coworker, particularly my former work wife Mrs. C, to commiserate with over coffee.




One morning Jack literally brought a pillow into the bathroom with him so he could "lay down" while brushing his teeth.  The kids were up late at night and exhausted each morning.  Chris and I felt like we had no evening to ourselves.  It was gloomy outside, and then it rained the same amount it normally does in a month in 24 hours.

I was ready to have a pity party.  And maybe I did, just a little bit, but I got over it pretty quickly.  We left up our tree until January 6th this year so we could enjoy the twinkling lights for a few extra days. I upcycled our received holiday cards into gift tags for next year.  I darned some socks, took some long naps to recover from my illness instead of pushing myself too hard.  We cleaned out our closets and donated some clothes. Molly and I planted some micro greens that have started to sprout, Why Hello!




This week I'm feeling a lot better.  I've reached out to more friends for coffee and some in person socialization. I've been walking the dog on the sunny side of the street. The kids are doing a readathon fundraiser for their library and it's been particularly nice to cuddle with them and read after a long day.  Chris and I have been playing cribbage nearly every night and I'm filling up our social calendar to beat out the worst of the winter blues.

We're taking the beginning of 2020 slowly, because we don't have to tackle an entire decade in the first two weeks of the year.  I am looking forward to our hygge weekend in a few weeks.  Any books, games, candles, or snack recommendations you'd like to share, let me know.

Stay cozy as the cold weather sets in and be kind to yourself as blue Monday approaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment