Tuesday 22 September 2020

Here I Go Again - Virtually Hiking The Grand Canyon Update Two

It's been roughly a month since I provided an update on my virtual hike of the Grand Canyon through an app called My Virtual Fitness Challenge. To read more about my motivation for torturing myself through what my husband says is an "overly aggressive goal" click here

So, re: the challenge, full disclosure -  I have 27 more days to finish this (and 173.9KM left to go), and I I'm behind.  

One of the reasons I wanted to write about this was to help keep me accountable, and as this reads like a Captain's Log it seems fitting to say: It's been 64 days, at 276.7KM and I've fallen behind on my journey, by nine percent to be exact. 

I have excuses. But they're boring. My treadmill (a weapon of choice for this challenge) is acting up and I can't muster the patience to troubleshoot it. I finished the show Good Girls, which I was watching while using the exercise bike and haven't found anything else I like to watch while I log more hours. Work, homeschooling, family - I simply need to carve out more time.  My friend suggested I finally try Curb Your Enthusiasm, starting with the Seinfeld season so there is some familiarity.

I am determined to catch up and earn my medal at the end of this virtual journey. We've been watching The World's Toughest Race, Eco Challenge on Amazon Prime and it's time for me to show my grit and bring this home. Today, following her first morning of virtual school, my daughter Molly hiked 10.2KM with me and the dog while we enjoyed the afternoon sun. Seriously what an awesome nine year old! At this point I know who is going to be doing some bucket list hikes with me in a few years.

I just earned my 60 percent badge and am virtually approaching Mohawk Canyon, mostly because of this afternoon hike.  I'm not nearly there, but this isn't impossible. 


In the meantime I've been able to enjoy some spectacular views during hikes completed as a part of the challenge this summer. Hopefully I "fall" back into pace post autumnal equinox (pun intended). Until then, any well wishes are encouraged and appreciated. I'm hoping the next time I write about this it's in 27 days from the virtual finish line. I hope there is champagne!


No comments:

Post a Comment