Friday 5 February 2021

1000 Hours Outside

Like just about everyone else facing this pandemic I am painfully aware of my mood. The other day my husband called February "the dog days of winter" and boy did I feel that! The isolation is getting to everyone as we're about to enter our first really cold spot of weather for the winter here in Toronto. 

In the warmer weather none of us have a lot of problems getting outside, and I'll admit in our house the kids are better at going outside than the grown ups are when it's cruddy outside. Even though we've been participating in e-learning for close to a year now, they both regularly go outside for recesses and lunch. 


I have been focusing a lot more energy on managing my mood lately, something that I have been fortunate enough not to have to think about much pre-pandemic. One thing I've been keenly aware of is how much better all of our focus and mood is when we get that much needed Vitamin N (nature) care of the great outdoors.

When I started seeing more and more posts about attempting to get 1000 hours outside during the year it got me thinking about putting together an action plan for our family. So, I joined a Facebook group where people all over the world share photos and ideas of how they're working towards their goal of 1000 hours outside. 

I've been thinking a lot about getting at least an hour outside a day during the cold weather and two to three during the warmer months, but have never tracked it. Knowing myself, a list loving Virgo, I was particularly excited when I saw that there is a simple chart you can print off on Pinterest or fill in electronically to log your time outside. These trackers will also help keep me accountable when it's less than pleasant outside. There are also prettier ones where you can track 100 hours at a time.



Hours can be tracked from walking the dog, playing with the dog, BBQing, going to the park, skating, biking, or even sitting around a camp fire. 

Starting my year, yesterday, on February 4th is not the best time to log hours, but it will make long strolls in spring and hopefull patio visits with friends this summer (depending on COVID restrictions) all the more sweet. I also managed to get in an hour and a half yesterday! Also I know my kids are going to join me for many of these moments which is an added bonus. I'd even put money on Molly wanting to fill out a chart of her own.

For more information about the 1000 Hours Outside Movement and the benefits for you and your family Click here






No comments:

Post a Comment