Saturday 31 December 2011

Good Riddance (The Time of Your Life)

2011 felt like that Adam Sandler movie Click where certain parts of my life get fast forwarded super fast and other parts go on for a painfully long time.*  Pregnancy and the first two months of motherhood dragged, now it's as if time has picked up momentum - the minions turn 5 months next week. Yesterday when I was thinking about 2011 I realized that technically Molly and Jack have been with me all year (even though I didn't know about Jack's existence until March) and that 2012 will be my first full year as a mom.

New Years Eve last year I spent at a Pajama Party where I volunteered to be designated driver, because as a newly pregnant person it was an easy way to hide from my friends why I wasn't drinking.  I ended up, angrily,  driving two friends who will remain nameless home.  These two friends tried to sneak a bottle of scotch** into the backseat of the car so they could drink on the road.  Fully charged with pregnancy hormones I took all of my DD frustration out on my husband and started out 2011 with both of us completely unaware why I was so incredibly angry with him, when he had done nothing wrong.

This year we debated a lot about how we were going to go about New Years Eve with the kids.  With a huge math equation that explored the drink to fun to pain in the butt ratio and decided that for the second year in a row I will be DD.  Babies come with a lot of stuff and although the subway runs until about 4am tonight I kept on having this image of Chris and I in a dangerous cab ride from the subway with the babies strapped to us all the way home, only to have to return to my friends condo the very next day, likely hungover, where we would have left all of our baby accessories.  With babies taking up all of our back seat hopefully no one will be trying to guzzle scotch in the car tonight.  I'll miss those crazy New Years Eves, but am just as happy to watch them from the sidelines knowing that I've had my share of them myself and that I have to be up in just a few hours.

Tonight when I get home, exhausted, when everyone is tucked into bed, I'd like to say that I'll pour myself a glass of wine and reflect with Chris, celebrating 2011, but we'll probably just fall asleep before our heads hit the pillow.

Goodbye 2011, Hello 2012, Hello Molly and Jack....It's going to be an amazing year!



*This is a terrible movie.  Don't watch it.
**When are you breaking up with whiskey again?

No comments:

Post a Comment