The problem with baby showers and registries is that you don't know your baby yet and as novice parents you really don't know what you are going to need. And you aren't going to know whether or not your child will hate the really expensive bouncer that their grandparents purchase them off of the registry.**
2012 marked a pregnant pause in arrested development amongst my 30 something peers - it was the year of mass conception. What does this mean to me? Other than finally having a place to ship the masses of baby gear that Molly and Jack have outgrown? It means that it's not Duck Season, it's not Rabbit Season - It's Baby Shower Season!
Below is my practical guide to navigate baby gift registries and beyond: I hope you find it helpful when registering or purchasing:
The Big Ticket Items:
Going together with a few people for these items really help the expecting parent(s) save some dough and will get used:
- Rocking Chair
- Car Seat
- High Chair
- Baby carrier/bjorn***
- Change table
The Practical Items: These are items that you truly can't have enough of!
- Wash cloths
- Hooded Towels
- Extra Large Receiving blankets****
- Umbrella Strollers (or beater strollers - cheap ones that you can beat the crap out of that fold down to the size of a brolly)
- Digital thermometer
- One piece sleepers in various sizes with zippers*****
Image Courtesy of Amazing Diaper Cakes
Un-registered gifting: These have been some of my favourites that i've seen or been gifted myself:
- Gift certificate for a pre or post-natal massage
- A baby photographer booking
- Gift card to have pictures printed
- Wall mount wet/dry vac*****
- Art work for the nursery
- Diaper Cake (for those who are going the disposable route)
- Personalized Blankets (initials or name if known)
- Anything hand knit
- Really cute unusual onesies and outfits that force parent's interests onto their offspring
- Gift cards to Once Upon a Child, Baby Gap, Babies R US or anywhere that parents can get those last minute items they didn't know they needed
- Gift basket including anti-bacterial hand sanitizers, soaps and wipes
- Good quality children stories, that parents like too.*******
What were the most useful items on you've received or seen as shower gifts?
Want Multiple Momstrosity updates on Facebook click here?
*About 22 months ago.
**Ahem - Molly.
***Or carriers if the mother to be is packing multiples.
****For some reason most of these only come in newborn sized, you need the extra large ones to keep your baby burritos fresh, and swaddled.
*****Do you know how hard it is to line up matching buttons on a sleeper at 4am?
******You'll understand when they start
*******If I have to hear Sister Bear tell on Brother Bear one more time, that little snot is going to get a beating. Wow, threatening children's literary characters, a new low - even for me.