Wednesday 9 April 2014

April Showers

This past weekend I attended a baby shower for a good friend of mine, so when I asked how I could help I was tasked with organizing a few games.  I thought to myself, I can handle this.  My grouping of friends has hit Babygeddon and some people are beginning to have their second kids.  That being said, we've all been to the showers and played the same games ad nauseam, so I wanted to try some new things.

We have this rule in my inner circle where no one is allowed to measure how gigantic anyone's butt, boobs or belly has gotten as a result of pregnancy or any other life event, like "The Aprils" - so any games that measure girth were off the table.  The sentiment of, "Hey everyone, did you notice how gigantic Baby Mama got in her pregnancy?" as a game is not exactly my idea of showering a mother-to-be with love.

Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden Vancouver


These are some games that I found that would be great if you wanted to turn your shower into more of a Stag or Stagette type event.  We didn't do any of these because I'm pretty sure my friend would have murdered me if we played any of the following games in front of her mother-in-law.

Pin the Sperm to the Egg
The adult version of Pin the Tail on the Donkey.

PREG-O or BIG O*
Can you tell the difference between the sounds of women in labour or performing in adult entertainment?  Form teams and keep score.

Baby Beer Bottles (we didn't play this one since mama to be has been craving beer and it didn't seem fair)
Buy a number of baby bottles and fill them with different beers (6-8 varieties). Guests have to guess what the different beers are.  Apparently even if you let the guests know which beers are in the selection they still may not get it right.   Be sure to have disposable cups for guests to taste so they don't need to share germs, or provide guests with one bottle of their own to rinse between tastings.


Here's what we did play:

Mama Knows Best, Or Daddy Knows Best?
Dad was asked a bunch of questions about the pregnancy and parenthood ahead of time and then in a dating game show format Mom had to answer from her perspective.  Guests had to guess how many matches there would be.

Unique Baby Names, AKA - They Named Their Kid What?
Guests were asked to put down their mobile devices (no cheating) and see how many celebrity parents they could match with their oddly named kin.  Do you know who the parents are of: Jermajesty, Sage Moonblood, Petal Blossom Rainbow or Diva Muffin?

Baby Shower Gift Bingo
Although this is a fairly traditional game, it's a good way to keep people engaged, if/while the parents-to-be are opening up the gifts in front of people.  Guests fill out on their score sheets what they think will be given as gifts and then check it off when their item gets opened.  Whoever gets a complete row first wins.

To learn how to navigate a baby shower registery click here

To view my list of baby shower gift ideas click here

For alternatives to the traditional shower click here


Happy Showering!

Want Multiple Momstrosity updates on Facebook click here?

*This game name has been trademarked by my friend A.  I'm pretty sure that as soon as the mom to be is able to join us for some cocktails we'll be playing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment