Friday 15 March 2019

Rebel Yell - Why I Let My 7 Year Olds Dye Their Hair

Growing up my parents didn't give me a whole lot to rebel against.  Sure I had my share of teen angst, but it mostly manifested itself in an over sized pair of Doc Martens, ripped fishnet stockings, and black lipstick that my mom hated with the fire of a thousand suns.  Which I LOVED to watch her hate - don't get me wrong.  But by them allowing me to 'let my freak flag fly' so to speak it probably kept me from jumping the shark tank in a lot of my so called 'rebellious' antics.

As stereotypical grandparents my mom and dad love to spoil my kids with chocolates, meals out, and most recently turtle ice cream.  There have been few times that the minions have heard the words 'No' uttered from my parents.



When I was a little kid, hair chalk, and semi-permanent spray weren't a thing,.  Also as a little kid it never would have occurred to me to ask my mom to dye my hair.  As a teen my mom would roll her eyes as I put manic panic into my hair, but not say or do much more.

I love changing up my hair...making it look different, mixing it up, and so do my kids. I also enjoy that I'm letting them do something that 'I couldn't do' when I was their age, but let them know this was mostly because this wasn't an option in the 1980's.

I figure by saying yes to these little things I open the door for dialogue for creativity, bonding moments as we decide on what looks best together, and for bigger conversation about calculated risk taking that have bigger stakes than colour that will eventually wash out or grow out.  I never let anyone colour all of their hair (cause that's expensive), but a streak here and there, no problem.

I know not all parents love that when my kids show up with their brightly coloured hair they get requests to do the same from their kids, but I do take pride in the fact that my kids are able to express themselves as they want, even from a young age.

This latest hair inspiration was care of Teen Titans Raven and Beast Boy and the kids are so excited about their hair.

How's your March Break going?

1 comment:

  1. ...looks great!!! Probably adds confidence while letting the kids be creative❤💙❤

    ReplyDelete