Friday 6 December 2019

Bring Back Anne With An E

Dear CBC/Netflix Executives,

When I was a little girl I fell in love with Anne of Green Gables.  Anyone else who loved Anne as much as I did instantly became a kindred spirit (see what I did there?).  My childhood bestie and I would read dramatic Anne monologues pretending that we ourselves were begging to stay at Green Gables and charm Matthew Cuthbert and Marilla into allowing us to do so.

Image Courtesy of Deadline


In my late teens and early twenties I bonded with another friend who binge watched Megan Follows' Anne of Green Gables any time she was under the weather.

When CBC brought out Anne with an E around the time my daughter turned six, I knew I had to share Anne with her.  This Anne brought so much more than the Anne I grew up with, in the best possible way.  She had the sharp spirit that reminded me of Sarah Polley and yet was so much her own Anne, with charm and fierce tenacity.

Together my daughter and I watched episodes and I got to fall in love all over again alongside Molly.  Last year when Molly decided she wanted to go out for Halloween as Anne I happily worked on some sensible Anne clothes for her truly Canadian costume.


Molly of Green Gables

Through bringing modern themes to a classic tale, my daughter and I have been able to talk about so many important issues that would not normally come up in natural conversation between a mother and now eight and a half year old.  We talk about feminism, classism, racism, tradition, standing up for what you believe in, and fighting injustice, even when the people you love oppose you - all because of Anne with an E.

This past summer we went on vacation to PEI so we could visit Green Gables.  When Molly asked if she could pack and wear her Anne Halloween costume, we made it happen.  While we explored Green Gables we were enthralled with a collage of the different interpretations of Anne we and others have enjoyed.  Molly was able to sit with Anne and her friends outside the house for 'tea' and was thrilled when other tourists asked if they could take photos of her in her Anne costume.

Anne brings a feminist perspective from the past.  The work done with the series has truly been remarkable.  While I know that all good things must come to an end, this journey doesn't seem over.  There is so much more to explore and learn together.  Let's see Dianna fly, Gilbert become a doctor, Delphine grow up under the care of Bash, Miss Stacey's next chapter, and Anne become the woman we all know she can be. Today I implore you for the sake of me, my daughter and numerous others, please bring Anne with an E back.

Sincerely,
Sara & Molly

To anyone who hasn't watched Anne with An E, go, check it out, stream it now so the people in charge can see how many people are in love with this show.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to add that streaming this and other great CBC shows is Free!!! using the CBC GEM app. (probably Canada only)

    ReplyDelete