A couple of weeks ago, while at a merchandise booth at the Canada Day Tragically Hip Concert, a gentleman complimented my friend's The Princess Bride shirt which prompted a very important question between my friend and I: What is the ideal age to have the minions participate in their premiere viewing of The Princess Bride (a movie that is ridiculously important to Chris and I)? Our debate was interrupted by the man at the booth, who responded without knowing the minions age with an adamant "immediately and often".
The next week we decided to take the advice of a stranger and introduce Molly and Jack to a story that involves, "Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True Love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest Ladies..Pain. Death. Brave men. Cowardly men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles." Sound Okay?
Three years and eleven months was apparently the PERFECT time to debut this movie to the minions. Molly was immediately enthralled with Princess Buttercup and has been strongly considering going as her for Halloween (likely a fairly obscure costume for a pre-schooler). Jack giggles maniacally at many scenes of the movie, especially the dream sequence where Buttercup is booed for having true love in her hands and letting it go.
When we pulled out our copy of the movie we discovered a drinking game that we had created many years ago to play while watching the movie. This drinking game probably isn't the best activity for family movie night, but I thought I'd share it anyway.
The Princess Bride Drinking Game
(Play at your own risk - AKA I am not responsible for any binge drinking inspired by this game)
- Every time Westley says "As you wish" take one drink.
- Any time the Dread Pirate Roberts is mentioned give one drink to someone else.
- Whenever Inigo says, "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. you killed my father. Prepare to die." take one drink.
- Whenever Vizzini says "Inconceivable." take one drink.
- Whenever there is a narrative involving the grandfather and his grandson (AKA Columbo and Kevin Arnold) take one drink.
- Every time Buttercup believes someone's lies (shockingly often) you give one drink to someone else.
- Whenever anyone implies that Inigo Montoya was a drunk, has been drinking or is drunk, everyone drinks....twice.
- Any mention of the six fingered man....take one drink.
- When Fezzik makes a rhyme...take one drink.
This past weekend we watched Back to the Future with the kids for the first time (can you believe that it's the 30 year anniversary?) and I couldn't help but wonder, how many times does someone say "Great Scott!" or how often does Marty look at the fading photograph of his siblings in the movie? I guess old habits die hard as I was tempted to pen a new drinking game at 11AM on a Saturday. At least it isn't based on a "kissing" book.
To get access to the newest posts from Multiple Momstrosity and more on Facebook click here and follow today!